Monday, March 5, 2012

The Marathon


Since I didn't post anything after the 20 mile run, before I can tell you about the marathon, I have to tell you the back story.

My schedule had me running 13 miles, then 8 miles, then the marathon for my long runs. After feeling GREAT on the 20 miler, I was very distressed when on a "measly" 13 miler I hurt my foot. At first I thought it was some sort of muscle cramp in my arch, but it soon became apparent there was more going on. I took a few days easy. Instead of running one day, I did some water running. I eased down my mileage a bit... and it didn't make a difference. My foot still hurt. Mostly after about six miles. I always felt it, but it was worse the more I ran on it.

As you can imagine, this was unsettling. I started to get very discouraged. I even got a little mad... that after eight months of training, I would have to give up the dream. So, I did what any logical person would do, I decided to ignore my foot.

I wouldn't recommend this method, but it worked out okay for me. I still don't know what's going on with my foot, but now that I don't have a pending marathon (that I don't want to be told I can't do) I will probably go into the doctor to find out what s/he thinks.

So, going into the marathon, I was worried to say the least. I didn't know if I would be able to continue after the first half. After stressing about it and getting angry, I decided that there are worse things that could happen to me and to be thankful for whatever I could do. I went into the race, accepting that I might not be able to finish. Still, I wasn't going to throw in the towel without a fight.

Okay, now we can talk about the marathon. :)

The night before the race my friends (Paula and Ruth) and I went to the town where the race was being held. We went to the expo, picked up our packets, got some cool fanny packs, ate at Macaroni Grill then checked into our hotel.

I laid out my gear so I wouldn't forget anything in the morning. Shoes, socks, shorts, shirt, blister patches, baby powder, the mommy version of body glide (ie diaper rash ointment), gel, cool fanny pack, long sleeve shirt, sports bra, under armor spandex shorts... I think that's all. Then I slid into bed for the most restless night of my life. Oddly, I dreamed I was having a baby and the epidural guy wasn't there yet. I know, I've totally lost it. If you discover some sort of metal illness while interpreting that dream, please don't tell me. I prefer being oblivious.

I woke up with my stomach in knots and my hand shaky. I could hardly tie my shoes. I am usually making jokes and things in tense situations, but on this occasion... I became quiet and serious. We went to the location of the start line and found the pacer for the 5:30 marathoners. We sang the national anthem and I was so full of emotion I almost cried.

I chewed a few shot blocks (I'd planned to do this instead of eat breakfast) and then a few seconds later they started the race. It was a little bit anti-climactic... they say "GO" and then you wait and wait until the mobs of people in front of you start moving. Once the race started, my nerves finally started to chill out.

Things went smoothly. My foot hurt, but I expected that. I had to fight the urge in the beginning to go faster than my normal pace. I was surprised by how in tune I was with my body. I knew without looking at a watch what sort of pace I was at.

I skipped the first water stop (1.5 miles into the race), and took a little at the second. After that I drank a little at each water station. At about mile six I started taking gels every four miles or so. It turned out to be the perfect fueling plan for me. I never felt any GI distress, and I never felt completely depleted either. In the beginning we would walk through the water stations, but later on I just ran through them. I hadn't planned that. I'll explain later.

Things kept going smoothly. The three of us stayed together (except for the occasional potty break) and talked up a storm. You learn a lot about a friend when you run a marathon together.

Before we knew it, we were 13 miles into the race, and still feeling good. My husband and kids were near the 13 mile mark and it was great to see them. I was so happy that I wasn't going to be staying with them, but that my foot felt well enough that I could continue. The last thing I heard from them as we ran by was, "See you in six miles".

It was that phrase that kept me going over the next bit. At about mile 17 my foot started to hurt much more. Still, it wasn't enough for me to give up my goal. I just keep thinking, I just need to make it to mile 19. If I can make it to mile 19 I can do this. Even if I have to walk the rest of the way in, I can do it.

It was at this time I discovered that when I stopped to walk (for water and gel), the pain in my foot was much worse. For whatever reason, when I was running, the pain was manageable, but if I walked I could hardly get running again. It was at this time that I decided I wouldn't walk anymore. I would run on one side of my foot for a while, then the other, to switch things up and give it a break in some way. It seemed to work okay.

Finally, at about mile 22 I saw my family again! They drove by in the van and yelled out the window, and it seemed to make everything better. I should also interject here, that the bystanders who cheered for us made a HUGE difference. Every time someone would yell for us, I felt a boost of energy. I have a new respect for bystanders. The posters the held up for us kept us laughing. My favorite, "Chuck Norris never ran a marathon"

At mile 24 Ruth hurt her knee and decided she needed to walk the rest of the way. She told us to go ahead. Paula and I kept on going, and then something happened in me. I'm know sure what, but all of a sudden, I just felt "it".

I started to pick up my pace, and as my breathing became a little more labored, my legs just sort of fell in time with the rhythm of my breaths. I started passing a few people. All the pain I was feeling sort of melted away. I felt like I was in some sort of hypnotic state. I just focused on my breathing... and that was all I thought about.

I continued to pick up my pace and as the finish line came into view, all I could see was the actual finish line. Scott told me I looked like I was in a trance or something and that I didn't even acknowledge them cheering for me as I ran by them. Paula's husband said I ran with such an urgency, he thought something was wrong with Paula, and I was running to tell them about it.

Once I crossed the line, got my medal and and saw my family, I started to feel the pain. And it HURT! I couldn't get my shoes off fast enough, and noticed a huge blister on my big toe. I hadn't even known it was there. My feet, legs, shoulders, knees, arches, toes... they all hurt. I felt like all my toes were broken.

I fully expected to cry at the end of the race. I had felt so much emotion after my half marathon that I ran, that I was pretty sure it would happen again. However, I didn't cry. At least, not for a while.

Later, when I walked over to get some food from the food tent, the smell made me start to dry heave. I leaned over the fence, and Scott ran over to check on me. He rubbed my back while I cried and I lifted up my head tears falling down my cheeks and said, "I just don't want to throw up". He laughed and said, " you just ran a marathon and you're crying about throwing up?" Yeah, I hate throwing up with a passion.

I drank a lots of muscle milk type stuff instead of eating the chili they wanted to feed me, and I was much happier. Paula, Ruth, and I walked over to the massage tent and got our free massages. It was AWESOME!

All in all, it was a great race. I felt like I had done my best. I did however, feel that I hadn't had the "real" marathon experience because I never really "hit the wall". My best guess is that when you run as slow as I do, the wall is more like a speed bump.

I started this journey planning that this would be my only marathon... and I've changed my mind. I think there could be more in my future... but not for a while.

So, the stats! I finished my marathon in...

5:26:02.1

Which, was better than I could have ever hoped for considering my foot concerns. I am completely satisfied with the results! To think that at the beginning of this journey I couldn't do two miles, I'd say I can chalk this up to a success!

Which leads me to conclude, that if I can do this, anyone can do it!
The end.

7 comments:

  1. You are truly awesome Sadie. I cried reading this! :) You should feel so proud! All your hard work has paid off. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually don't think anybody could do this. I am starting to actually worry about the 5K that is coming up too soon. My goal for that is to run the whole thing but I don't know if that will happen with my lack of training that I have (n't) been doing. You are awesome and I am so impressed for your dedication. I would love to say that I ran a marathon some day in my life but I don't think it is anytime soon. Congratulations Sadie!!! That is AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed reading your blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are my favorite runner friend...Awesome job! Someday we will run one together ok! Maybe in 5 years or so???? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job! You have always been so driven and tough....and a little crazy;) I could never do this ...I would whimp out. But I really love the way you go for things, you have a dream and you just go for it...it is very inspiring. But after your story I am a little worried about your foot. I have heard that runners get stress fractures a
    lot. you should go get it checked out...your nursing skills might not fix it this time( remember all the times we tried to fix each others injuries)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I will always remember trying to make your big toe better. :) I've worried about the same sort of injury. I'll probably have to schedule an appointment with the doc.

      I want to catch up with you. Give me a call one of these days when you aren't swamped with all things mommy. :)

      Delete
  6. Sadester!!! I'm so proud of you:). And I'm so glad you didn't forget your running shoes;)

    ReplyDelete